Thursday, July 5, 2012

Review: The Night Circus.

The Night Circus.
by Erin Morgenstern.
Rating: 

*Warning May Contain Spoilers*



THE CIRCUS ARRIVES without warning.............
It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.


tents


These sentences are the most memorable start to a book I have ever read. Intriguing & dreamlike which makes way for an equally intriguing & dream like novel.

“You may tell a tale that takes up residence in someone's soul, becomes their blood and self and purpose. That tale will move them and drive them and who knows that they might do because of it, because of your words. That is your role, your gift.”

I simply adored this book beyond words, I've been struggling to create a review which I feel is worthy of such a near perfect book ( & I'm far from perfect) so I decided to just write what I felt while reading, why i think you should read it & stick in a whole lot of quotes because I practically highlighted every paragraph Marco & Celia where together in.

description


"I would have written you, myself, if I could put down in words everything I want to say to you. A sea of ink would not be enough." "But you built me dreams instead.”

To say I loved the book from the start would be a lie. I was engaged from the start but a little between the middle & the start my attention started to wander (not really wandering i did finish it in less then two days but I did put it down! So to me that counts as wandering) I was expecting the relationship of Celia & Marco to just happen, & to have the circus & the other characters just work around it. which is my own fault (I've read too many paranormal romances lately where the characters just jump each other a few chapters or just paragraphs in!) instead you get to watch as this relationship between to arch rivals pitted against each in a game of pure magic & strength unravel then flourish into a beautiful one in a lifetime romance.

"Do you remember all of your audiences?" Marco asks.
"Not all of them," Celia says. "But I remember the people who look at me the way you do."
"What way might that be?"
"As though they cannot decide if they are afraid of me or they want to kiss me."
" I am not afraid of you," Marco says.”


Not only was I blown away by the chracters & the story but by the circus it self which seems to take on its own chracter & identity. The way it's described is unbelievable & so far from reality, i became overwhelmed but just couldn't get enough!


“The sign outside this tent is accompanied by a small box full of smooth black stones. The text instructs you to take one with you as you enter. Inside, the tent is dark, the ceiling covered with open black umbrellas, the curving handles hanging down like icicles. In the center of the room there is a pool. A pond enclosed within a black stone wall that is surrounded by white gravel. The air carries the salty tinge of the ocean. You walk over to the edge to look inside. The gravel crunches beneath your feet. It is shallow, but it is glowing. A shimmering, shifting light cascades up through the surface of the water. A soft radiance, enough to illuminate the pool and the stones that sit at the bottom. Hundreds of stones, each identical to the one you hold in your hand. The light beneath filters through the spaces between the stones. Reflections ripple around the room, making it appear as though the entire tent is underwater. You sit on the wall, turning your black stone over and over in your fingers. The stillness of the tent becomes a quiet melancholy. Memories begin to creep forward from hidden corners of your mind. Passing disappointments. Lost chances and lost causes. Heartbreaks and pain and desolate, horrible loneliness. Sorrows you thought long forgotten mingle with still-fresh wounds. The stone feels heavier in your hand. When you drop it in the pool to join the rest of the stones, you feel lighter. As though you have released something more than a smooth polished piece of rock.”


Why you should you read this?.....well to put it simply you just have to! Yep that's my whole reasoning, you just have to, its one of those timeless & classic love stories you just have to read (at least five times) to really appreciate.


“He goes directly to the ballroom, making his way to the center of the dance floor. He takes Celia’s arm, spinning her away from Herr Thiessen.
Marco pulls her to him in an emerald embrace, so close that no one distinction remains between where his suite ends and her gown begins. To Celia there is suddenly no one else in the room as he holds her in his arms. But before she can vocalize her surprise, his lips close over hers and she is lost in wordless bliss.
Marco kissed her as though they are the only two people in the world. The air swirls in a tempest around them, blowing open the glass doors to the garden with a tangle of billowing curtains. Every eye in the ballroom turns in their direction. And then he released her and walks away. By the time Marco leaves the room, almost everyone has forgotten the incident entirely. It is replaced by a momentary confusion that is blamed on the head or the excessive amounts of champagne. Herr Thiessen cannot recall why Celia has suddenly stopped dancing, or when her gown has shifted to its current deep green. “Is something wrong?” he asks, when he realizes that she is trembling.”


description


I often make my own little playlist or choose theme songs for my favorite books but this time I'm pretty happy with it & found out I'm not the only one who does it, so if your interested here a couple of the song & the playlist:

Florance + the Machine. Cosmic Love (Acoustic):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=khMEtvnmCfE

Emilie Autumn. Cold:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=8IfQ6qX-zhE

Bloc Party. Signs:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=liZ6ScudE9E

Iron & Wine. The Trapeze Swinger:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=Bywv_yjSgHc

The Night Circus Musical Playlist:
http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67EDCB3967646AEE



You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des Rêves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus.
You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.


description
description
description
description
description













5 comments:

  1. If no one has got that, I have, but still, I love your ranting on The Night Circus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx, I can't go on enough about this book! ¦)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWWW tyou make it sound so romantic. TBR!!!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)