Friday, November 8, 2013

Ashley Stoyanoff's Review: Dark Summer by Lizzy Ford

★Ashley Stoyanoff's Review
Dark Summer
The Witchling Trilogy Book #1
By Lizzy Ford


Title: Dark Summer (The Witchling, #1)
Author: Lizzy Ford
Number of Pages: 250
Publication Info: Evatopia Press (August 2012)
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy
Shelf: Books I Bought
Rating: ★★★

Goodreads: Here
Purchase: Here
 Authors Website: Here

~Summary from Goodreads~

A school for Witchlings...
The ultimate choice between Light and Dark...
Where the price of a mistake...is your soul.


Sixteen-year-old Summer doesn’t expect her new boarding school to be any different than the rest: a temporary stay, until her uncontrollable magic gets her thrown out again.
In her mind, there’s no point in getting too friendly with anyone. That is, until she notices Decker, the boy who will become the Master of Night and Fire on his eighteenth birthday.


When she learns that this special school has attracted others with magic in their blood, she is hopeful that this time around, things may be different. Besides, she can’t deny her interest in Decker, and when he rescues her one night from the dark forests of the Rocky Mountains, their connection is instant.


Yet a relationship with Decker may prove to be Summer’s downfall, forcing her to choose between Light and Dark, life and death, love – and their souls.


One choice. One soul. One price.


~My Review~ 
I always enjoy Lizzy’s stories, and this one was no different than the others.  Within just a few pages I was pulled into this magical world and it held me tight right to the end.

Dark Summer pulled on my every emotion.  You know it’s an awesome book when you find yourself muttering at the characters as if they can actually hear you.  I did A LOT of muttering throughout this book.  There were times I wanted to strangle the characters and times where I wanted to reach through the page and hug them.  I cried, I laughed, I grinned, I yelled, and I cried some more.  This book was an emotional rollercoaster from the first page until the last.

The cast of characters was wonderful.  I loved Summer and adored Decker.  They were such a great pair.  For awhile I was worried that there would be a love triangle with Decker’s twin, Beck, and I’m super glad there wasn’t.  I liked Beck, but he was no Decker.

As always, Lizzy’s writing was great.  She gives just enough description for the reader to get lost in the world.  She shows her readers not only the scenery but also the emotion.  As a reader, I couldn’t help but feel every little thing that happened to my favorite characters.

My final thoughts … awesome book, great story line, fantastic characters, but it was an emotional ride that left me exhausted.  Would I recommend Dark Summer?  Yes, it’s a great read, but I warn you, it is emotionally draining.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)