Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Young Adult Fiction.

So I've been reading a lot of YA novels lately & I kinda have a love/hate relationship with them & i started to wonder what is actually classified as Young Adult Fiction, because I find it differs from author to author, some YA's I've read Would classify as 'YA/Teen' then others 'YA but for mature young adults' then others which would be easy 'teen reading' but are choc full of sex scenes!....

Does YA mean a book aimed at young readers? Or is it a book about young chracters?

If In doubt ask Wikipedia.....

"Young-adult fiction or young adult literature (often abbreviated as YA),[1][2] also juvenile fiction, is fiction written, published, or marketed to adolescents and young adults. The Young Adult Library Services (YALSA) of the American Library Association (ALA) defines a young adult as someone between the ages of twelve and eighteen. Authors and readers of young adult (YA) novels often define the genre as literature as traditionally written for ages ranging from twelve years up to the age of eighteen, while some publishers may market young adult literature to as low as age ten or as high as age twenty-five[3]. The terms young-adult novel, juvenile novel, young-adult book, etc. refer to the works in the YA category.
YA literature shares the following fundamental elements of the fiction genre: character, plot, setting, theme, and style. However, theme and style are often subordinated to the more tangible elements of plot, setting, and character, which appeal more readily to younger readers. The vast majority of YA stories portray an adolescent, rather than an adult or child, as the protagonist."

Ok so that doesn't help.....hmmmmm

Well what do you think, What does YA mean to you & do you like it?

Because my temperament with YA is wavering!.......Lol

2 comments:

  1. Isn't YA mean Young Adult where it's mostly aimed for teens, right? I'm still trying to avoid the whole YA but I've been reading so many of them, I think i do like them!

    OOO you got The Book Theif! You should read that one first! Or Graceling!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im still confused...haha
    I read YA all the time but still can't admit my live affair for them.

    I totes can't wait to read the book theif It's on my must read ASAP list!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks So much for Stopping by!
I'd loved to get your Feedback!
=)